I’ve been wanting to interview Shaun for some time now because I like what posts on his YouTube channel and I really wanted to get the perspective of a programmer who specializes in Forex. I finally got around to asking him last month and I was happy when he agreed.
Shaun Overton first got interested in Forex as a broker on the automated trading desk of FXCM and has been interested in automated trading ever since. He has built a successful programming business, catering primarily to traders who use Metatrader and Ninja Trader. This business has taken him all over the world and he has met some very interesting people as a result (some of whom are mentioned in the interview).
He has recently been able to hire someone to handle the day-to-day management of his programming business, freeing him up to devote more time to automated systems development. So he is in a very interesting position, having done a lot of programming work for clients and being at the stage where he is working on developing his own systems to build his trading business.
If you make a living with your own small business but would like to move into trading for a living, this interview might give you a few valuable tips on making that transition.
Just like any other type of trading, automated trading will suit a particular type of person and we get into who fully automated trading could help and the type of trader that it might not help. Although fully automated trading may not work for everyone, it can help most traders and you will learn how it can do that. We also talk about how people should get started with automated trading, either by hiring a programmer or learning programming on their own, and how to set realistic expectations.
I sincerely enjoyed speaking with Shaun and his enthusiasm for trading really shines through in this interview. Even if you do not think that there is any room for automation in your trading, I would still recommend that you listen to what he has to say because it may open your mind to a few new ideas.
In This Episode
- The most interesting programming project Shaun has worked on
- How he became a programmer after majoring in history in college
- Who should be trading automated systems
- The most outrageous programming request that Shaun often gets
- How to know when you are in the “Fantasy Forex Dream”
- Shaun’s results with Artificial Intelligence (AI) programming
- And more!
- The One Step Removed YouTube channel
- Learn to Program with C++ by John Smiley
- Renassanice Technologies
- Ninja Trader
- Forex Tester
Other Ways To Get The Trading Lifestyle Podcast
- Right-click here and “Save As” to download the MP3
- Click here to subscribe to Trading Heroes YouTube channel
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes (if you like it, a five-star review on iTunes is greatly appreciated!)
- Click here to subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
- Click here to hear the other podcast episodes
Disclosure: Some links on this page are affiliate links where this site gets a small commission if you purchase through these links. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra and it supports this website. A portion is also donated to my charity partner.